Sunday, November 29, 2020

5 Dec 2020, Saturday

 5 Dec 2020, Saturday

Prioritized Daily Task   

I texted Michael and Autumn a picture of the The Hand of God on canvis 21 X 28 inches (total canvis 27 X 34 inches) we bought as a Christmas present f torhem and children. They told us the picture is very nice but they do not have room in their home for it.  I hung the picture in our family room as a Christmas present to us.



7 PM Celebrate Gavin's 18th birthday (pumpkin pie, his favorate, instead of cake) and card - Dinner at Brazian Restaurant next to Univ. Mall in Orem We are celebrating Gavin's 18th birthday 5 days early 

 I purchase a special nutcracker to get the meat out of the Hickory Nut to make Hickory Milk.  The nutcrackers, we have, would break before they carcked the Hickory Nut.  The one I purchased on line workes like a vice but the nuts was so thick and hard Debbie could not crack the Hickoy Nuts.  The nut cracker required too much pressure.  I took me almost 2 hours to charck 1/2 cup of shelled nuts.  The next time I will just crack the nuts without shelling before bowling.  I halfed the receipt -      Making the Hickory Nut Milk:

  1. Place 1 part (e.g. 1 cup) of hickory nuts and shells into a pot.
  2. Add at least 3 parts (e.g. 3 cups) of water to the pot (otherwise it will be too goopy).
  3. Simmer for 30 minutes.
  4. Strain the hickory nut milk through the nut milk bag into another pot or kettle.
  5. Serve warm with honey.

 nut milk bag, fine cheesecloth, or a thin cloth. My favorite nut milk bag alternative is my handkerchief. It's a super fine weave but it will still let you strain liquid through it.                             Growing up I never heard of any kind of nut milk espically Hickory Nut Milk even today very few people if any know of hickory nut milk.  Almond Nut Milk is comon and most people know of it.  Almond nut milk is in almost all the grocery stores.  I learned of hickory nut milk reading in Bartram Travels, 1773-1776, page 56, "...an account of the Hickory Nut fruit as being wholesome and nurshingh food....I have seen above an hundred bushels of these nuts beloging to one family....the Creeks (tribe of Indians) pound them to pieces, and then cast them into bowling water, which, after passing through fine strainers, preserves themost oily part of the liquid: this they call by a name which signifies hickory milk; it is as sweet and rick as frech cream, and is an ingredient in most of their cookery, espically homony and corn cakes."

                                      nut crack and hickory nuts 
                 


I wrote to Gavin in his birthday card: You are incredibly special and loved by everyone who knows you.

Sending this birthday wish is by someone who is ahead of you by more than ½ century, and knows that life flies on the winds of time.  Look at me and your Grandpa McEwin and in about 60 years you will be us. 

Make the most of this time the Lord has given you.  You are special and were ment to have joy, peace and happiness. 

We love you,  Grandpa and Grandma Debbie 

Beth sent this message to the family in a text message from her I-phone.  "just need to make a very emotional announcement (good emotions)...

I just finished my final paragraph for my last task of my EdTPA.  All I have to do is edit and make adjustments before I turn it in.
My final USC class is Monday night and I’ll be a graduate of USC with my masters degree.. I’m excited to have my brain back. It has been a LONG road, especially the last 4 months. 
Prayers I pass this EdTPA"

Gavin's 18th birthday, Tucanos Brazilian Restrauant, Michael, Debbie, Grace, Blake and 3 of their friends       

No comments:

Post a Comment