Saturday, October 24, 2020

29 Oct 2020, Thursday

 29 Oct 2020, Thursday

Prioritized Daily Task

Call genealogist in Dublin Ireland and Radio station 102.7
Call Johnny Pope

7 AM Legacy Center to exercise and walk

10 AM Debbie's appointment at Pibcoa, pain and injury center

When Debbie got home I drove up to the cabin in Heber at noon.  I stopped at Elain's.  A neighbor a few house down the road was there watering her plants.  She had set a few out, Elain had holes dug for.  The water to the house is still on but to the outside sprinkler system the water is turned off.  Our cabin looked nice and clean; only the outside needs staining and some of the rails replaced and stained.  Someone had cleaned out the garage and put many of the things from the garage in the closet where I keep my journal and personal things.  I worked until 6:30 PM sorting and organizing were I can get to my journals.  I went through some of them.  I made a timeline from Mar. 29 - Apr. 3, 1992 I was in Bangkok, Thailand, in Hong Kong and China May 30 to June 9th        Feb. 22 to Mar. 3, 1998, I took Patt and her mother, Polly, and dad, Ray Horsley to Scotland and Ireland.                                                                  Nov. 2003 Patt went to her appointment to see Dr. Champion who did the surgery to reduce the size of her stomach.  Our marriage started downhill a month after her surgery and continued to pick up speed.                     Nov. 17, 2003 Beth asked me to write my personal history.                         Jul. 16 through Aug 9, 2001 I went back with Matthew to where he served his mission in Brazil.                                                                                Nov. 11, 2009 Patt was served divorce papers.                                            Dec. 10, 2009 I went to Dublin, Ireland.  I stayed at the Maldron Hotel, it is now the Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane.  I stayed in room 406.  The hotel was located on Said Ui Maricin Road (R813) across the Liffy River from the Convention Centre.   I got acquainted with Jimmy Carrol one of the owners.  He sold the land to the hotel company and has a penthouse  with his own private elevator.  His main home is on a farm in Delgany about 25 miles from Dublin.  His wife's name is Miriam and they have 7 children.  I did some genealogy research while I was here.   I went to several locations and found something very interesting in the Register of Deed Office on Henrietta St.  Looking through their rolls of index film I found Robert (McColpin) McAlpin and wife, Janet, selling land to McKell on December 2, 1728.  The property was located just outside the city gate of Belfast on Mill Street.  The property backed up to Mill Creek and was next to a tannery John McAlpin owned.  I think John and Robert were brothers and the tannery was first owned by their father, John McColpin.  At this time I do not have a primary source connecting Robert and Janet McAlpin to my 4th g grandfather, Alexander McAlpin.   I attended Church on Sunday.  There are two ward buildings in Dublin, the stake center in Glasnevin and the other Finglas Ward.  I attended the nearest in Glasnevin.  The bishop's name was Bishop Green.  He is a native Irish. I also talked or met Sister Burk who works in the mission office and is from Boise, Idaho, Elder and Sister Burten were from Island Park, ID.  The one that was the most interesting was Sister Catherine Lamb.  She was the ward genealogist and worked at the Stake Family History Center.  She and her husband are converts from the Catholic faith.  He drives a bus and they were married in the temple and have 3 children.  I told her about my problem connecting Alexander McAlpin in America who came from Ireland to Robert McAlpin (McColpin) who I found living in Belfast with his wife Janet.  She asked me if I knew the names and birth order of Alexander McAlpin's children.  I shared with her that Alexander's oldest son was Robert and he had 4 daughters, Janet, Elizabeth Barbary, Sarah Mary and Sarah Temple McColpin.   The youngest son, William Alexander McColpin, was my 3rd g grandfather.  Robert Alexander McAlpin, my grandfather, was the oldest son.  Sister Lamb told me about an early Irish Law called Brecon Law.  It was never written down but was a binding as if it were chiseled in stone.  A man would name his first son after his father and his daughter after his mother.   Even if his father was not honorable and a disgrace he would still name his son after him but he may take his wife's family name and he and his son be known by his wife's family name from then on.   

No comments:

Post a Comment